Monday, March 23, 2009

Food for Thought


Every week, Grant and I both enjoy Chloe's present discoveries and look forward to see what the next week brings. Every day, her personality ripens a bit more into the pretty little girl that she is becoming. As I have mentioned in previous blogs, I really thing she is going to be a real talker. I am not sure I have ever seen a baby with as much energy as Chloe, but then again, I have not been around many babies. Here is a glimpse of what we deal with every night before bed. Maybe she will be a singer? a comedian? Quite amusing, really.




It is the 40th anniversary of the story, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". This was one of my favorite books as a child because I loved all the pretty colors. Perhaps, it is the precursor as to why I decided to study science. I learned early about the life cycles, fruits and veggies, and the need for food as a means of energy. Reading this book to Chloe as an adult has made me think about how simple and similar life really is among different species. Something that starts as a very small egg enters the world with fundamental needs. For some species, this is food, for the more sophisticated, food and love among other things. Throughout the life process as parents, we provide our off spring with the things they need to become beautiful creatures. When I was reading to Chloe and got to the end, when the very hungry caterpillar becomes a beautiful butterfly, I couldn't help but to think about how beautiful she is today and will be tomorrow.

On a funnier note, she is at the phase where everything goes in her mouth, the very hungry Chloe was trying to eat the very hungry caterpillar...The fundamental need for food is so instinctual. Although I think this behavior suggests she is ready for baby food, we are waiting until 6 months at our Pediatrician's recommendation.


This weekend we also too her to her first UVa baseball game. Thanks to Nancy, we got this really awesome backpack for Chloe, which I think is going to prove very valuable in airports and crowded places. We thought we would try it out since strollers don't maneuver well up and down stairs at stadiums. Grant and I are always amazed as to how much stuff it takes to have a baby. We have used just about every bit of all the many gadgets in our house.

\

3 comments:

The Whites said...

I love those pics, she is super adorable! She looks like she had fun at her first UVA baseball game :) Thank you for your offer to help as well. We will let you know. For now the nothing will be done to the baby room till my brother graduates mid May. I have tons of family staying at our house that weekend so we need that extra bedroom as is for now.

Meghan said...

Joe would be so jealous of her hair! She's one rockin' girl! Those blue eyes are stunners. Why Erin, I believe I know a little girl baby who looked just like that but with red hair :)

Anonymous said...

Grant and Erin,

Thank you for sending the picture of Chloe. She is so cute!!!!!
Of course I was not surprised since we do have an attrative family........

I am looking forward to our visit at your mom's wedding.

Love,
Diann Anderson