Thursday, October 30, 2008

For Dad...

For the last three years, I have volunteered with the American Cancer Society to raise money for cancer research. The event I volunteer with is the annual Pavilion Ball here in Charlottesville, where 60% of the funds remain local, while the remaining 40% goes the national ACS. I am fortunate to work and live in a community with fantastic cancer physicians and care providers, so I know the money we raise is well spent and helps patients in our community.

Each year our committee works hard to put on a great event, organizing a silent and live auction, honoring cancer survivors and having a great time. the theme this Year was "Lights, Camera, Take Action." And while there is nothing glitzy and glamorous about having cancer, it is a fun event that celebrates survivors and those we've lost. We are there to raise money for a cure. Everyone knows someone who has had a battle with cancer. As you may know, almost 4 years ago, my dad was a victim of lung cancer. I always dread that January day that he died, so instead I celebrate my dad on the night of the ball. I celebrate with my husband and my friends, and last year my Mom celebrated with us too. It is hard work, but so is fighting cancer, and many people fight for their life every day. I remember all the hard work my dad put in for me so I could have a great life and for this, we raise our glass, and hopefully the standard of how cancer is treated in the future.

Thanks for all you did for me Dad. We miss you!

No comments: